Friday, December 27, 2013

Boxing Day (One In One Out) and Winter Tips

Ever seen Boxing Day on the calendar and it says its a Canadian holiday? Well I have and when I was younger I always wondered why people cared so much about some sport that they had a holiday for it. Eventually I learned from my aunt who lived in Canada for a long time that boxing day is a day that Canadians get rid of old stuff they don't need and send it to the poor.

Since then the day after Christmas I go through my clothes and shoes and get rid of at least as many things as I received (this is the one in one out strategy I have talked about  before). This morning I decided to Google Boxing Day and different countries do different things for boxing day. In Canada it has turned into a Black Friday kind of thing and in other countries it is a day where they give gifts to people who do services for them like maids, hair stylist, and others who give them services of some kind. The internet says that there is not a specific origin of Boxing Day so I am going to go with mine.

I have this thought about getting rid of things, especially clothes and shoes. I feel like since I am lucky enough to get nice things I should help others too. This is my thought- Give away clothes and shoes that you haven't worn in the last 6 months and probably wont wear again. This way if you know someone who is poor or you can send them to DI while they are still in style people who are less fortunate then you can have nice clothes too. I am not rich by any means but for Christmas I always get a decent amount of money to spend on clothes and so when I get something new I get rid of something old. Give someone else a chance to get nice things too. I know what it is like to be poor enough that you can barely afford food let alone nice clothes so think about that now that Christmas is over and you have nice new things. What can you get rid of? What shoes are sitting around not being used that someone else would love? Have some random shirt in your closet that you never have really worn because after you bought it you decided you didn't really like it? Get rid of it!

Some people get really attached to clothes because they have memories attached but the memories are still there even if you get rid of the clothes. Give someone else a chance to make memories in your clothes. 

If you are like me it feels good to get rid of stuff. I have a small house with tiny closets so I love to get rid of things I wont wear. I use my one in one out policy all year when I buy new things but especially during Christmas time because I get more then just one new thing. Try it, it feels good.

Just something to think about. 

How to stay warm out there!
  The only way I survive winter is the clothes!

Get a cute beanie. Obviously here it is just for looks not to keep me warm but when I am going to be out in the cold I use it for reals to cover my ears and stuff. I got mine at the Holy Cow but I have seen cute ones at Nordstrom and Target

Get a cute colored scarf. Make sure it is comfortable though so that you can wear it every day. I am allergic to wool so I have to be careful of that so put it on and see how it feels before you buy it. Target always has nice ones that have matching gloves and things like that. It doesn't even have to be a fashionable scarf just a winter scarf in a color you like! I got mine from my mother in law for Christmas one year so I don't know where it is from but it is super warm.

Get a coat with a hood. Hoods help keep you warm! (notice the beanie being used for reals)

And of course gloves. I have three pairs I switch between because they get dirty since I wear them so much but you really only need one pair. One suggestion though is to get some that you can use with your smart phone. The ones in this picture have different fabric on the thumb and pointer finger so that I don't have to take them off just to use my phone. I got these at Walmart.

Again from Walmart with the different fabric on the fingers.

These obviously just show my fingers so that I can use my phone when I need to.
Enjoy and stay warm if you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment